Advancing Gender Equality and the Empowerment of all Women and Girls in Albania
- A position paper by the United Nations in Albania
Through this joint position paper, the United Nations in Albania identifies four key areas and strategies to accelerate gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls in the country:
- Put women and girls at the centre of Albanian sustainable development and EU integration.
- Eliminate all forms of gender-based violence, harmful practices and violence against children.
- Strengthen economic justice and women and girls’ economic empowerment.
- Investing in women health and education.
The country is expected to implement additional reforms in various sectors in line with EU gender equality standards. While national institutions have made strides to put women and girls at the forefront of national priorities, the country needs to strengthen implementation of laws and policies, accountability, and monitoring mechanisms to ensure the achievement of all gender related targets in the Sustainable Development Goals, and to make sure that the health pandemic response specifically addresses the impact that COVID 19 is having on women and men, boys and girls.