The United Nations Week in Albania 2023
22 October 2023
UNITED NATIONS WEEK IN ALBANIA 2023:
23-25 October 2023
23 October 2023 - The SDG-themed Day - various locations across the country
Various activities will be taking place across the country, aiming to showcase and promote a wide range of interventions undertaken by the UN system in Albania in collaboration with Albanian authorities, development partners, groups of interest, and members of public at large. The activities will aim to address key issues that impact the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and related commitments.
- 09:30 - Opening Session: Strengthening the Global facilitators’ network under the UNESCO 2003 Convention - Tirana International Hotel, Tirana. Organized by UNESCO and the Ministry of Culture. This is a Training of Trainers workshop for incoming members of the European Chapter of the Global facilitators network under the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage.(This is a closed, invitations-only event)
- 10:00 - Climate Ambition Chat - Faculty of History-Philology, Tirana. Organized by UN Albania (UN RCO, UNDP, UNOPS) and the Embassy of Spain. An event in the form of a debate among climate experts and young people, to enhance the capacity of the youth to participate in meaningful climate change actions. (This is a closed, invitations-only event. Social media streaming may be provided.)
- 10:00 - Opening of Bootcamp on addressing gender and intersectional forms of discrimination - Hotel Adriatik, Durrës. Organized by UN Women in the frame of the LNB Joint Programme. The boot-camp will promote the role of social work students in properly addressing discrimination and disadvantages of certain groups. It will also improve the knowledge on the legal and policy framework of the students, as well as on the Albanian institutions directly engaged with the matter. (This is a closed, invitations-only event. Social media streaming may be provided.)
- 11:00 - Chestnut Promotion Day - at the main square of Bajram Curri. Organized by FAO. Chestnut Day is celebrated in Tropoja every year, and this year FAO is organizing an event to promote local agricultural products as an important aspect of supporting local economies, achieving SDGs, sustainability and well-being. (This is a Public event)
- 12:00 - Cities #WithRefugees: UNHCR in Gjirokastra - Municipality of Gjirokastra. Organized by UNHCR and Municipality of Gjirokastra . A ceremony of signing the #CitiesWithRefugees pledge by the Mayor of Gjirokastra, part of the global UNHCR campaign inviting cities and local authorities to promote inclusion, supporting refugees and bringing communities together to sign a statement of solidarity #WithRefugees.(This is a closed, invitations-only event. Social media streaming may be provided.)
- 15:30 - Launching Peace Week and "Western Balkans Youth Forum: Skills for Peace" - Hotel Xheko Imperial, Tirana. Organized by the UN Association Albania. The Regional Youth Peace Forum will form an integral part of "Peace Week 2023'", organized for the second consecutive year in the country, under the framework of UNA Albania's initiative to localize and operationalize the Youth, Peace, and Security Agenda, in the country. (This is a closed, invitations-only event. Social media streaming may be provided.)
24 October 2023 - United Nations Day - at Skanderbeg Square
The UN Day is the highlight of the UN Week in Albania 2023. Several events will be run at the Skanderbeg Square to mark the UN Day, showcase the UN-Albania relationship journey through a mini exhibition; make the case of the need to accelerate action on SDGs, showcase the work of UN system in Albania across the 4 outcomes of the UNSDCF 2022-26 and more. Events are open to the public unless otherwise specified)
- 11:00 - 12:00 - UN Day High level event - United Nations Albania, Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs (This is an invitations-only event. Social Media streaming will be provided.)The United Nations Day will be the highlight of our UN Week in Albania 2023. Speeches from the UN Resident Coordinator Minister of Culture and the Deputy Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs will be held on the main stage, to continue with an exhibition and a day filled with activities. (This is a closed, invitations-only event. Social media streaming will be provided.)
- 12:00 - 12:30 - Unveiling of the UN and Albania Journey exhibition. The exhibition will spotlight four elements of the ‘journey’ through four different dimensions: (i) historical trajectory diplomatic relations between UN and Albania since the Albania’s accession to the United Nations (ii) key contributions and milestones of various UN entities that operate in Albania; (iv) milestones with respect to adoption of key human rights conventions; (v) the cultural heritage of Albania as part of global heritage protected by UN.
- 12:30 - 16:30 - The UN Fair - Various displays and interactive activities from UN agencies in Albania. Here are some highlights of activities happening during the fair: My Nature Pledge [organized by UNDP]; Youth and Environment: Youth4AirQuality organized by UNICEF and EDEN Center; Mental Health Awareness, organized by UNICEF and UN Association Albania] and much more
- 13:00 - 13.30 Cultivating Tomorrow: Young Agricultural Entrepreneurs Award Ceremony. An award ceremony focusing on Young Agricultural Entrepreneurs who have completed a comprehensive training program in agribusiness development and market-based digital skills. Organized by FAO
- 14:00 - 14.30 Puppet theatre show - A show for children on the importance of education on immunization and well-being. Organized by the WHO.
- 14:30-15:30 - Recraft the past, build up the future. Presentation of a successful case study on promoting cultural tourism, boosting the local economy, and generating income for Kruja artisans and local communities through the EU4Culture Grants program implemented by UNOPS. Organized by UNOPS [EU4Culture]
- 15:30-16:30 - Empowerment through Self-Defense - Sharing ESD tools and raising awareness on the importance of a safe community for gender equality, self-realization and self-care for women and girls. Organized by UN Women
- 16:30-17:00 - Performance by the folk ensemble Shqiponja - (supported by the Municipality of Tirana) - The Folk Ensemble Shqiponja will perform in the center of Tirana, in a performance filled with the treasures of our folk art heritage.
- 17:00-17:30 - Performance by Pleqtë e Krujës Folk Band - The concert by the renowned traditional folk band "Pleqte E Krujes" from the scenic mountain town of Krujë will offer you an opportunity to immerse in the rich tapestry of Albanian folk songs and transport you to the heart of tradition. Don't miss this enchanting concert that promises an unforgettable musical journey!(organized by UNOPS)
- 17:30-18:00 - Performances by refugee artists (organized by UNHCR and Refugee and Migrant Services in Albania - RMSA)- Through traditional dance adorned in traditional costumes, captivating music, and heartfelt poetry, the young refugees will immerse the audience in the vibrant cultural experiences they've encountered.
- 18:00-18:30 - Let's combat hate speech (theater performance). Outdoor theater performance of one of the winning groups from the youth boot-camp in Vlora – Youth Advocacy/Action to combat hate speech and build peace, trust and equality. Organized by: UNFPA and UNDP [PBF supported project]
- 19:00 - SDG Business Pioneers Award Albania 2023: Celebrating Sustainable Leaders in Albania - at the hall of the National Museum of Albania. Organized by UNDP and Business Partnerships and Solutions for SDGs Joint Programme (This is an invitations-only event. Social Media streaming may be provided.) The SDG Business Pioneers awards are aimed at recognizing and celebrating companies that demonstrate exceptional commitment to sustainability and contribute to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
25 October 2023 - The UN in Shkodra
Important Note: Due to predicted weather conditions we are considering some adjustments and changes to the below programme. Please check back for the latest updates.
This year, the UN Week 2023 will take us to Shkodra for a special day. This city with a rich history and full of culture will be our host for a day filled with interesting and informing activities, set to happen throughout the day.
- 10:00-10:30 - The United Nations Country Team in Albania meet with the Mayor of Shkodra
- 10:30-14.30 - The UN Fair - at The square in front of Shkodra Municipality. The fair will open with short speeches by Mayor and UN Resident Coordinator. Various displays and interactive activities will be run by the UN agencies in Albania and the Shkodr Municipality. Here are some highlights of activities happening during the fair: My Nature Pledge [organized by UNDP]; Exhibition of agricultural products from farmers in the area of Malësia e Madhe, as well as other farmers who may be invited by the Municipality of Shkodra [Organized by FAO with the support of the Municipality of Shkodra]; Cultural Heritage Fair (artisans' presentations and embroidery and pottery workshops for children) [Organized by UNOPS under the EU4Culture Programme] and more.
- 11:00-12:00 - Pupils of 4 Shkodra Vocational schools present their experience from the "Boost skills" program supported by UNICEF. Different experiences by pupils of the VE school will be presented in the frame of the Professional Education program of UNICEF.
- 11:30-12:30 - Breaking down barriers to inclusive justice. Organized bu UNDP. An event focusing on breaking down barriers to inclusive justice and promoting the free legal counseling for vulnerable groups program.
- 12:30-13:00 - Puppet theatre show. A show for children on the importance of education on immunization and well-being. Organized by the WHO.
- 13:00-14:00 - Musical performance from the children of the Children's Cultural Center (Main stage). A surprise performances by young artists from the Youth Cultural Centre, Shkodra
- 13:00 - 14:00 - Increasing awareness on Quality and Standards in the MAPs Sector -(local farm "Shporta e Reçit" in Malësia e Madhe) A regional forum organised by UNIDO in collaboration with Albanian Quality Infrastructure Institutions and SMEs.
- 14:30-16:00 - Visits/meetings with beneficiaries of various programs of UN agencies in Shkodra. (This is an invitation-only event) Visit to the UNICEF's BiblioTech Project, as part of the awareness month against trafficking; Visit to the UNFPA project at the City Maternity Ward
As the weather for our day in Shkodra seems to be unstable, with rain forecasted, this is the new programme:
13:00 – 13:30 - RC/UNCT meeting with Mayor
13:30 – 14:30 - Meetings with program beneficiaries (UNICEF Bibliotech and UNFPA Maternity)
14:00 - 14:30 - Puppet theater show - A show for children on the importance of education on immunization and well-being. Organized by the WHO.
15:30 – 15:35 – Opening of the UN Fair – Welcoming word from the Mayor of the Municipality of Shkodra, Mr. Benet Beci and the UN Resident Coordinator in Albania, Ms. Fiona McCluney. [Venue: The main hall of the Shkodra Municipality]
15:35 – 17:00 – UN Fair and Agency Activities + Artistic Concert in the Shkodra Municipality Hall, 1st Floor
17:00 Conclusion of Activities